Skip to main content

Featured

The Monsters Within

Monster, according to the Webster Dictionary, is: an imaginary creature that is typically large, ugly, and frightening. “When the monsters come out to play/I kick them away. I kick them away.”                                                                                               - “Therapy” by little luna music.  The first two monsters I remember encountering, I didn’t have names for, nor did I know they were monsters until my mother explained. I was in third grade. My best friend and I were the final two girls in an audition process for the lead in a play, “Hansel and Gretel." I was sure I had the part. I mean, really? I had long blonde hair. In pigtails. I wore a brown skirt and white blouse with big puffy sleeves.  I entered the audition with great confidence, and there stood my best friend, her short dark hair in a cute page boy, and she was wearing a completely authentic Swiss  dirndl outfit right down to the white hose and brown shoes. And to my horror, she stood besi

Art: When Work Meets Love

 


Photo by Pixabay.com
Although art has always been a part of my life, I didn’t think of myself as an artist until recently.  When I was a child, getting a big box of crayons and a new coloring book was a treat. I remember carefully coloring and adding extra details to each page, doodling cartoon images and fancy letters on the edges of my classwork, creating complicated mazes and blueprints of my “future dream homes," and taking tole (folk art) painting classes with my grandmother. 

Doodles in my "day job." Photo by Angie Ritenour


Becoming an elementary teacher offered me ways to use my creativity and artistic skills. In the classroom, I doodled on calendars, staff meeting agendas, and on any piece of paper that was in front of me. However, creating art is a stress reliever for me, and I knew I wanted to do more of it one day.

Day job doodles. Photo by Angie Ritenour

A year and a half ago, I saw an Instagram reel about becoming a children’s book author and illustrator. I had written and shared a few stories with students, so the idea intrigued me.  

Some of the artistic tools in my studio.
 Photo by Angie Ritenour
I set up an art studio (AKA a corner in the living room where I put all of my art supplies), and plunged into the world of illustration.  I started by taking online courses where I was encouraged to join SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators).  I attended SCBWI conferences and filled 3 notepads with notes and new ideas.  I began watching videos of artists explaining their techniques and style, and I studied the illustration styles of some of my favorite picture book illustrators. I also learned how to create surface pattern designs, and opened a shop on Spoonflower, a print on demand site for wallpaper, fabric, and home décor.   All of these actions made me realize how much I loved creating art, and that I had not been giving my creative side enough attention.

My next step, which was terrifying to me, was to share my art on social media. At the time, I was full of self-doubt about my artistic ability because I was comparing myself to other artists. It took getting positive comments from friends, family, and other artists to make me realize that I maybe, just maybe, had a chance at becoming a “real” artist.


After a glowing portfolio review, being told I was ready to start querying agents, and getting feedback from other artists, I started to believe that I really was an artist!




Turning "doodles" into picture book illustrations. Photos by Angie Ritenour.


Working on character design. Photo by Angie Ritenour.

Playing with collage illustrations. Photo by Angie Ritenour

I’m not sure what the future holds, but for now, I’m learning more about the business side of illustrating and surface pattern design, honing my artistic skills, collaborating on fabric collections with designers from around the world, and conjuring up the sewing skills that I have not used in years to create home décor with fabric I created.
My first textile design, from design to fabric swatch.
 Photo by Angie Ritenour

 




Turning my surface pattern designs into fabric, wallpaper, journal covers or other décor.
Photos by Angie Ritenour






I am an artist, children’s book illustrator, surface pattern designer, and teacher. There! I said it!  I am all of those things and more. I am not famous, nor do I have a huge following on social media, but I have decided to do what I love today, in order to make my tomorrows a happier place.



If you're interested in following my journey further or checking out my designs, you'll find me here:


www.instagram.com/talentedkidzone

Spoonflower Shop

https://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/angie_ritenour_designs







Are you a subscriber? Then look for a fun FREE goodie in your email box! WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH begins this Wednesday, and we have created something special for you-a MARCH CALENDAR chocked full of fun and inspirational goodies to get you through each day. Simply click on each day to reveal the goodie. 
What's that you say? NOT A SUBSCRIBER? It's not too late! Subscribe now and receive our celebratory freebie in your email box! 
Here's a sneak peek of what it looks like:


















Comments

  1. That's awesome you learning the art. And it looks pretty. I'm sure you will have a great future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work!! I find it interesting -- I ended up kind of going the opposite direction. I always really wanted to be an artist but when I finally got an art degree and started creating work for other people I started to hate it. At this point I only really enjoy doing it for myself or as gifts. The business end of things was stressful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts